Nolasco's Hangar 9 3.1m Sukhoi Build

Naughty Monkey

Re: Nolasco's Hangar 9 3.1m Sukhoi Build

Postby Naughty Monkey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 am

So we are going to see this thing fly by Saturday, right?
Jared

JoeNolasco
Site Admin

Postby JoeNolasco » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:54 am

That's my goal!
P1 Hobbies - Ukiah, CA.
www.p1hobbies.com

JoeNolasco
Site Admin

Postby JoeNolasco » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Engine is mounted!

So far only one real complaint: Lack of places to mount things. Something I really like about uhhhh, just about any other plane on the market is that most of them have nice built-in trays to hold electronics. On this plane they give you a small piece of ply and tell you to glue it to some 1/4" balsa sticks and then glue the whole thing onto the canister tunnel...which is made of some pretty floppy balsa. I don't think I like that idea too much.... :| There are battery slots up next to the fuel tank but I don't want my batteries that far forward. Monkey said something about building up some battery mounts out of ply and gluing them to the wing tube. Maybe he'll let Joe post some photos of that??? :geek:
Attachments
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG
P1 Hobbies - Ukiah, CA.
www.p1hobbies.com

Joe Hunt
Site Admin

Postby Joe Hunt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:34 pm

I didn't use any plywood. I just took some short pieces of corner stock and shaped them concave to fit over the convex wing tube. Then glued them on. Fast and easy and virtually without weight.

20150805_154250.jpg
To support this site, the reviews, and the photoshoots:

JoeNolasco
Site Admin

Postby JoeNolasco » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:49 pm

Ahhh I see now! Is that 1/2" tri-stock? I need some for my cowl ring anyway....
P1 Hobbies - Ukiah, CA.
www.p1hobbies.com

Joe Hunt
Site Admin

Postby Joe Hunt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:09 am

It might be 1/2", 3/4" would probably be easier to get a good result. :)

I put some sandpaper on a pipe and sanded down the middle of the corner (tri?) stock.

JoeNolasco
Site Admin

Postby JoeNolasco » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 pm

I was kinda thinking of maybe not trying to get this thing done for this weekend with the way some things were timing out but Glenn (AKA Heisenberg) has struck again. He came over and declared that the orange beast will fly Saturday, or bad things might happen. And then he proceeded to work on my plane all day!

Most of my wiring was done already, but we needed to sort out the battery mounting and electronics. Glenn fabbed up the tri-stock battery mounts over the wing tube like JH's plane.

IMG_4179.JPG

Once the heavy construction is done, I will go back and tidy the rat's nest of wires before flying.

This is the second plane I've setup with my Jeti DS14 transmitter. This plane is using the Central Box 200 servo management system along with two R3/RSW receivers. (All available through P1 Hobbies of course 8-) )

I am really REAAAALLLYYY liking this Jeti equipment! Any servo can of course be assigned to any output on the CB 200 so I have the left half of the plane on the left half of the box and the right half over on the right. Makes for some really nice wiring possibilities!
IMG_4178.JPG

With the fuse basically sorted out Glenn got the wings out and started bolting the servos in and setting the linkages up. I got to work soldering up my aileron leads. I direct soldered my servo leads onto 20awg twisted wire and then put both servos onto one Deans 6-pin plug. So only one polarized plug per wing! SOOOOO CLEAN. JH is super jealous! And just wait 'til Monkey finds out! There'll be poo flung all over the place!

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG
P1 Hobbies - Ukiah, CA.
www.p1hobbies.com

Joe Hunt
Site Admin

Postby Joe Hunt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 am

Looking good, brother!

Naughty Monkey

Postby Naughty Monkey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 am

I really like doing the wing servo harness that way. I got some sub-d connectors from radio shack. I took it a step farther and mounted them so they plug in when the wing is put on. Gonna be a nice clean setup for sure!
Jared

Joe Hunt
Site Admin

Postby Joe Hunt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:55 am

Yeah, I was eye ball'n those 6pin Dean's too. And, thought about mounting a connector in the wing, as well. Both pretty cool, but I went old school. ;)

Return to “Build Threads”